Early Durham

Georgian Durham

Victorian Durham:-

+ Trade & Industry

+ Social & Domestic Life

+ Changing Times

Modern Durham

Special Exhibition

Sculpture Garden

Brass Rubbing

 

 

 

Changing Times

Our displays show the many changes that took place in the Victorian era in, for example, transport and commercial building.

Durham County Council moved to their new offices, Shire Hall in Old Elvet, in 1904. The new building combined all their departments incluiding Weights and Measures.

In 1857, the North Eastern Railway built the viaduct in Durham to carry a branch line from Leamside to Bishop Auckland with a station in the City. It wasn't until 1872 that Durham became a main line station, when there was a change in the route of the line between Newcastle and Darlington.

The Market Place saw many changes in the 19th century with the rebuilding of St Nicholas Church and new commercial buildings.

Our display shows the new Town Hall, designed in the 'Gothik' style and built in 1850.